Tuesday, October 8, 2013

How to Get Rid of Fruit Flies

Fruit flies. They are a homemaker's annoyance, seemingly coming out of nowhere to terrorize you and your food. In my home, we set aside all food scraps for either compost or to give to our chickens. We have lids for these containers and they should be taken out daily...but it doesn't always happen right away and all of a sudden, fruit flies invade our kitchen! One or two would be bad enough...but it seems like they keep multiplying! 

If you have this problem...never fear! I have the perfect solution! My children think I am amazing for it (but to be honest, it's a trick I read about online years ago!). I have every intention though of *letting* them continue to think I am amazing! ;) 

All you need to do is put a piece of fruit (starting to over-ripen is best) into a jar or container. Cover this with plastic wrap, tightly. Then punch a few tiny holes in the top of the plastic...

 
Thankfully for us, fruit flies are not very intelligent. They can get *in* to the jar but they can't seem to find their way out again. Once you have noticed a good number are stuck in the jar, carry it outside and lift up the plastic and let them go free!


If you still have more fruit flies to catch...simply reattach the plastic and place the jar back on your counter and repeat! :)

Can you see them in there? All along the top of the plastic.

So there you have it! A tried and true method of getting rid of those pesky fruit flies using no chemicals or difficult procedures! I hope this helps you! 

3 comments:

  1. I do the same thing with apple vinegar; it works!

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't you worry about them coming back IN after letting them free?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This couldn't have came at a better time! My kitchen has been swarming with fruit flies, and they multiply like...well, fruit flies! I tried this tip and within about 2 hours my kitchen was almost free of fruit flies! Almost all of them were in the jar! Thank you so much for sharing! Also, I have followed your personal blog for about 3 years, and I thoroughly enjoy it. I am so excited you have started this blog as this seems to be an area I struggle with. Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete